Friday, October 23, 2009

Technology Topic: Segways

Technology is usually used as a tool to facilitate ones ability to learn different information by enhancing the learning experience. Science education, however, often uses the technological details of a specific form of technology to demonstrate certain principles and concepts. An example of this could be analyzing circuits in physics in order to understand the principles of electric currents, rather than using a computer with circuits in it to look up information about electric currents. Volunteering at the Science Museum of Virginia gives me a weekly opportunity to practice my ability to use technological demonstrations as a way of teaching scientific concepts.

Here is a link to a Segway commercial in case you don't know what one is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sztUuNNBxbc

Today, I was doing my usual Friday activity of volunteering as an exhibit interpreter at the SMV. One of my main duties is "gallery education," whereby I help museum guests with the learning process. I was especially fortunate today because I was assigned to ride a Segway around the museum as a demonstration of physical principles, namely the practical applications of a gyroscope. After grabbing the attentions of various museum visitors, I not only let them see how the machine works, but I also let them take short rides so that they actually get the experience of riding it. In science, experience often plays a key role in the learning process.

Courtesy of www.future10.com

Segways are certainly advanced technology and could even be considered futuristic. Therefore, the technological mechanisms that are used to control the device can be a useful way to teach complex scientific concepts. I have always thought of technology as a way that educators enhance the process of learning, but now I recognize that technology can be an educational tool in other ways as well. In this case, the technology of the Segway was an actual demonstration of the concepts being taught in a lesson.

I have never ridden a Segway before and I found it to be extremely easy and fun. It was fun to cruise around the museum; through doors, up the elevator, into the gift shot and through the cafe. It is a very versatile mode of transportation. I couldn't help thinking how this invention could change the world, namely that people would become even fatter and lazier than they already are. Although this would probably come true were the Segway to become commonplace, I would still advocate its use because of its brilliant design.

All in all, the Science Museum of Virginia offers me the opportunity to use technological demonstrations to teach, thereby helping me gain teaching experience. It is almost like being a lab instructor once a week. Today was the most fun I have had working there yet and I thought I should share it with my blog because of its technological as well as educational relevance.

No comments:

Post a Comment