Friday, November 6, 2009

iPod + Broadcast = Podcast

Image courtesy of www.polkadotsalmon.co.uk
+

Image courtesy http://evilmonito.com
= PODCAST!


Well folks, I have officially mastered yet another technological skill: I can now make the most incredible podcasts you can ever imagine! Just kidding, but I do have a good grasp on the programs used to create a podcast (namely Apple's GarageBand) and a good understanding of how to use this technology in an educational way. If you were fortunate enough to visit the link to my first podcast (below), you can see this for yourself.

I think that podcasting is a potentially valuable educational tool because of the way it conveys information through sound and pictures. I plan to teach high school biology and I know from personal experience that teenagers are more likely to pay attention to an auditorily and visually stimulating lesson, such as a podcast. Although it may be hard for students to learn specific facts and data from a podcast because of its quick speed, they are still likely to grasp the overall message of what is being presented.

Podcasting may also prove to be a unique type of assignment to give my future students. Students could be required to create and publish a podcast on a specific biological topic. The research needed to complete the assignment would serve as the educational medium while the creativity involved in making a podcast would stimulate interest and follow-through. I found making a podcast to be fairly fun once I figured out what I was doing and I would have been pleased to work on such an assignment when I was in high school. . . unfortunately the technology did not exist when I took high school biology in 2000.

No comments:

Post a Comment